What to Do After a Car Accident
Even a minor car accident can be a stressful occurrence for O'Fallon drivers, and if you are involved in a collision, you may be wondering about the proper course of action. When you’re shaken up, thinking about what to do next could be challenging, so it’s important to understand what to do if it does occur. If you are unsure what to do after a car accident, the team at Auffenberg Dealer Group has provided a guide below.
What to Do After a Car Accident Checklist
If you are involved in a minor car accident, like a simple fender-bender, the steps below can be of assistance:
- The first step should always be to determine if you or your passengers need medical attention. If anyone involved needs medical assistance, call an ambulance right away.
- If you’re in stable condition, pull your vehicle over to a safe spot. Don’t move too far from where the accident occurred,but also make sure that you are not blocking traffic and you are in a safe location.
- Call the police. Even if the other driver says not to involve the police for a minor accident, it is still best to call. Some insurance companies want an official report of the accident documented.
- Exchange contact information. Exchange phone numbers, email addresses, and the insurance policy information of the other driver(s) involved. It is also helpful to get a photo of everyone’s driver’s licenses, license plate numbers, and insurance cards. Don’t forget to get the contact information of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Document your vehicle’s damage. Take detailed photos of the damage to both your vehicle and the other vehicle or vehicles involved. If you are able to do so, take photos of the accident scene as well.
- Call your insurance provider. Contact your insurance provideras soon as you can to report thedetails of the accident. This allows the claims process to get underway.
In the case of a major accident, the steps are a bit different:
- Call 911 right away. If you’re seriously injured, immediately alert emergency personnel or have someone make the call on your behalf. When the ambulance arrives, police will then arrive to assess the scene and the damage that occurred from the accident. You may not be able to document accident information if you are injured, so it is a good ideal to follow up with the police to get the details you need.
- Contact your insurance provider. Provide your insurance provider with details about the accident to ensure proper compensation. Follow up with your provider if someone filed a claim on your behalf while you were being treated for your injuries.
- Follow up with your physician. If you are still in pain after the accident and being treated for your injuries, set up an appointment with your doctor.
How to File a Car Accident Insurance Claim
If you have never filed an insurance claim after an accident, you may not be sure what steps are necessary. That’s ok! It is typically actually a fairly straightforward process, and Auffenberg Dealer Group has provided a quick guide below. To file a car accident insurance claim, provide your insurance provider with the following information:
- Your insurance policy number
- Detailed description of how the accident occurred
- Date, time, and location of the accident
- All the collected contact and insurance information from other involved parties
- Name of the police department involved, as well as the police report number (if applicable)
Your vehicle will then need to be evaluated by an insurance adjuster who will determine the estimated cost of vehicle repairs, coverage, and more. Your vehicle may require an in-person inspection if the details in the police report and the pictures provided were not enough for an accurate estimate.
Auffenberg Dealer Group is Here for You
At Auffenberg Dealer Group, it is our goal to get you back on the road safety and as soon as possible. When your vehicle is in need of repairs, whether it be minor dings or major structural damage, our technicians have the experience and expertise to get your vehicle looking like new again. Contact us today with any questions.