How to Make Your Tires Last Longer
Even if you treat your tires with the highest level of care, they will wear down over time. Fortunately, there are ways to make your tires last longer and to get those long-life tires you desire. Among the precautions you should take, having regular tire inspections is a must. At Auffenberg Dealer Group near O'Fallon, we can help keep your tires in the best possible condition. If you are wondering how to lengthen the tread life of your tires, check out our handy guide or contact our service department for more details.
What Causes Tire Tread Wear?
There are several factors that can impact how quickly your tires wear. In fact, different tread wear patterns indicate different issues with your vehicle:
- Inner & Outer Tread Wear: Inner and outer tread wear are also referred to as “toe wear” or “camber wear.” If this happens, it can be a sign that your tires are not properly aligned.
- Center Wear: If you notice a majority of tire wear in the center of your tire, there is a good chance that your tires are overinflated. Take a look at your owner’s manual to see the proper PSI for your tires.
- Edge Wear: If the edges of your tires are worn down, underinflation is likely the culprit.
- Cupping Wear: Cupping wear is diagonal scalloping of the tire. If you notice this type of tire wear, it is indicative of a major issue with your vehicle’s suspension system. Be sure to set up a service appointment as soon as possible to have the underlying cause addressed.
- Patchy Wear: If patchy tread wear is occurring, your tires may need to be balanced.
How to Have Long Life Tires
If you desire long life tires, simply follow these helpful steps when it comes to routine maintenance:
- Check Your Tire Pressure Monthly – Did you know that tires can lose up to a pound per square inch of air pressure on a monthly basis? That is why it is important to check the air pressure in your tires each month. Keep in mind that during cold winter months, tires can lose pressure more rapidly. In the summer, your tires could gain more.
- Rotate Your Tires Every 5,000 Miles – Keeping up with regular tire rotations is also a must. Tires do not wear evenly, and to give the tires that receive the brunt of the engine power a break, the position needs to be rotated regularly.
- Get Your Tires Balanced – It is also important to have your tires balanced. If the weight of your vehicle is not distributed evenly to each tire, uneven wear can occur.
- Check the Vehicle Alignment Twice Yearly – Wheels that are not properly aligned will wear down much more rapidly. Wheels can become misaligned over time, or this can occur, for example, after hitting a pothole. If you notice a vibration in your steering wheel, misaligned wheels could be to blame.
Auffenberg Dealer Group is Your Tire Care Expert
If you want long life tires, you need to know how to make your tires last longer. Fortunately, with a little bit of routine maintenance, your tires can perform their best for a long time. Contact Auffenberg Dealer Group for additional tire care tips and tricks.